Saturday, January 27, 2018

Hello, Hestra!


I was determined to find a few hours on some evening, even if my meeting seemed to be running from 8am to at least 8pm or even 10pm... but then the local ski hill closed.

The local ski hill, Alebacken, closed just as I was preparing to take the taxi there the next day. It is close to Göteborg, a tiny hill, but I like tiny hills.

But then I found out about Isaberg (see also Wikipedia article). This 160 meter vertical ski hill is the largest in southern Sweden. Southern Sweden, mind you, isn't the greatest ski destination.

But I'll settle for anything. The only downside is that I needed to rent a car and drive 1.5 hours... leaving at 5, I was still able to make it there at 19:30, even after all the unexpected (or not) hassles at the rental place and with Göteborg traffic.

It turned out to be in Hestra village, hosting also the maker of my and many other people's gloves. I can recommend them! 

I can also recommend the ski slope. For southern Sweden (or even Southern Finland), this is a great place, and I was glad I visited... half an hour more would have been nice. But even 1.5 hours in the slopes was good. I got my exercise. Got to ski, got to experience another ski place. Much appreciated.

I also got to think about my hard tech problem at work, while driving. And enjoy a nice Volvo in its natural habitat, 25 years newer than the one I have. Man, they have developed some cool new tech since then. Working wipers, for instance :-)



De-icing on my way to Göteborg:


Hestra at Hestra:


Facilities and restaurants:


Chair lift:


Slopes:




This blog article is also available at TGR. Tämä blogiartikkeli löytyy myös suomeksi Relaasta. Photos and videos (c) 2018 by Jari Arkko. All rights reserved. The song "Energetic" is by Silent Partner; freely available for videos in the YouTube Audio Library (https://www.youtube.com/audiolibrary/music).

No comments:

Post a Comment