Thursday, February 23, 2012

Two More Countries

Courmayeur, Italy

I'm heading out today for a two day trip to collect Spain and Andorra. Still, plenty of other places in Europe that I have not skied in: Turkey, UK, Iceland, Denmark, Bulgaria, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Serbia, Bulgaria, ... It still feels like the planet has an unending supply of unexplored ski destinations.

I'm doing this trip because my friend Zach happened to be going that way and it is fun to ski together. And Andorra has been on my high priority list. Also, I rarely say no to an opportunity to ski. (Except when Zach pointed out that we could participate in the extreme skiing competition that happens to take place in Andorra this weekend. No thanks. I'm only partially crazy, not a total lunatic...)

It has been a good week otherwise, too. I've already skied on two evenings in Kauniainen.

Rope skiing to avoid crevasse falls, near Monte Rosa, Italy

My upcoming trips include a family trip to Åre in early April, and possibly something in France on the last days of March and something in Slovenia in mid-April. I still wish I could organize something in Russia and Estonia. I'm wondering if Estonia could be done as a day trip from Finland. How many ski areas are there? Could they be skied in a day? Any locals reading this and willing to advice or even join such an exercise?

Graphic signs in Kirkwood, California

Oh, and does anyone have after-ski recommendations for Andorra?

Christmas tree a la Veuve Clicquot in Zermatt, Switzerland 

Photo credits (c) 2010-2011 by Jari Arkko and Olli Arkko

1 comment:

  1. Three. One by accident. But whose counting... more to follow!

    ReplyDelete